Frequently Asked Questions

Make a selection below to filter FAQ results:

The Town of Gilford Town Clerks office is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday; Thursday 8 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

If you are 17 years of age and will be 18 years by the next election, a citizen of the United States and a resident of Gilford you may fill out a voter registration card at the Office of Town Clerk-Tax Collector. The voter card is forwarded to the Supervisors of the Checklist who will then determine eligibility for addition to the voter checklist.  Picture identification is required.  Proof of age and citizenship may also be required. You may also register to vote on Election Day at the polling place.
The Supervisors of the Checklist also hold sessions in accordance with the requirements of state law. The sessions are held at the Gilford Town Hall.  The law requires posting of those sessions in the local newspaper.
Supervisors of the checklist:

Mary Villaume                  
Irene Lachance       
Miriam York     

Most Gilford elections are held at the Gilford Youth Center, 19 Potter Hill Rd.

Absentee ballots are available for all elections if you qualify by being absent from town on Election Day, observing a religious holiday or have a physical handicap according to RSA 657:1. If you are a registered voter, you may request a ballot in writing. Fax requests can be accepted as long as they are signed.

It is $15.00 for either the search or first copy and $10.00 for each additional copy received at the same time.

Yes, the request must be in writing and accompanied with a photo ID and a proper check made payable to the Town of Gilford. Visit the following link for the correct form.

The charge is $50.00. The license is good for 90 days from the date of application and can be used anywhere in the State of New Hampshire. If it is not your first marriage, you will need a certified copy of either the FINAL divorce decree or a certified copy of civil union or annulment documents or a certified copy of the death certificate. A blood test is not required to obtain a marriage license at this time.

You may obtain a copy from the court where the divorce became final, Or you can obtain one with your Town Clerk’s office. To obtain a copy from the Town Clerks office the divorce must have been finalized between 1990 and six months prior to the request. Click here for on-line services.
You may license a dog at the Office of Town Clerk-Tax Collector. According to RSA 466:13 and RSA 466:1, You are required to present a copy of the current rabies certificate and any spaying or neutering certificates at that time. For a non-altered dog the cost is $9.00, neutered/spayed dog $6.50 and a senior citizen may license one dog for $2.00.  This may also be done on-line.  (Additional fees apply.)  Click here to register your dog on-line.

Dog licenses are effective from May 1 to April 30 of each year. Please let us know if you no longer own a previously licensed dog so that we may update our records.

Auto registrations are a two-step process. You must always start with the Office of the Town Clerk to obtain the registration permit. The Town Clerk is an appointed municipal agent by the Department of Safety. In many cases the state portion of the registration can be completed at the town level. If paying by check you will need one payable to the Town of Gilford and the other payable to the State of NH-MV. However, rulings on the scope of what the state will allow the town to renew changes all the time, so it is the best practice to inquire at (603) 527-4713.
The Department of Safety is on 23 Hazen Drive in Concord, NH. Troop E in Tamworth also houses a State substation.

Yes, this may be possible to some extent, but due to a federal privacy act restrictions may apply. Renewal informaiton on website Eb2gove - pay online option has estimates.  Please call or email our office for additional information.
Estimates may also be done at our website by clicking on this link.

At the Department of Safety, located at 23 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH. Please contact the State if New Hampshire Department of Safety at 271-2371/271-2372 for information on what the requirements are for a NH license.
The tax year is April 1 through March 31
The Office of Town Clerk-Tax Collector collects sewer and Gunstock Acres water bills. They may be paid by check made payable to the Town of Gilford and mailed to 47 Cherry Valley Road, Gilford, NH 03249, on-line (additional fees apply), or in our convenient payment box located in our parking lot. Click here for on-line services.
Real estate is billed semi-annually in Gilford. The first bill is usually mailed by the end of May and is due approximately July 1. The second half bill is usually mailed the end of October and is due approximately December 1
Sewer use bills are based-upon a meter reading collected by the Department of Public Works staff. Bills are mailed based upon your quarterly usage.
The Town of Gilford does not provide garbage pickup. You may contract with a private company for pickup at your house.

Yes, you will need the Taxpayer of Gilford decal to enter the recycling center/stump dump (located on Recycle Way) or the Laconia Transfer station (located on Meredith Center Rd.). Coupons may be purchased at the Gilford Department of Public Works and Town Clerk-Tax Collector's Office for $5.00 each, to be used at the Laconia Transfer Station.
(DPW website)

Effective July 2,2001 UCC's are filed with the Secretary of State's Office, UCC Division, State House, Room 204, Concord, NH 03301. The Town Clerk's Office still accepts filings for federal tax liens, hospital liens and Department of Revenue Administration liens.

At the Town Clerk's Office for a fee of $.50 per unit.

Town of Gilford, NH

47 Cherry Valley Rd. Gilford, NH 03249

(603) 527-4700