Genealogy - Vital Record Info


Genealogical research may be performed on records open to the public. Due to the lack of space and staffing it is wise to make an appointment.

The State of NH Genealogy has information for genealogical research.

Marriage License

Couples wishing to be married in New Hampshire may apply with any City or Town Clerks' Office.  Both partners must be present for the preparation of the paperwork.  Proof of age may be required.  If this is not the first marriage, you shall be required to show a certified copy of the FINAL divorce decree or certified copy of civil union or annulment documents or a certified copy of the death certificate. (Please call if you are unsure if the paperwork you have is correct.)

Additional documentation needed at the time of application are as follows:

  •     A photo ID (such as driver's license, non-driver ID or passport)

The license is valid for a ninety-day period. There is a charge of $50.00 payable by cash or check.

Certificates of Birth, Death and Marriage

New Hampshire vital records are considered to be private, and access to them is restricted by statute to those individuals who have a "direct and tangible interest" in the record. To view all of the disclosure limitations to our records, click on this link to the statute; RSA 5-C:102.  Certain older records are exempted from these access restrictions. Birth records prior to 1901, and deaths, marriages and divorce records prior to 1948 are considered to have unrestricted access.
Individuals wishing to research these "genealogical" records may do so by contacting the Town of Gilford, Town Clerk – Tax Collector’s Office to make an appointment. The Town Hall is located at 47 Cherry Valley Rd., Gilford, NH 03249 or by contacting the State of New Hampshire Vital Records Department at 29 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03305 or

Alternatively, a written request may be made to our offices, and we would research our records for you for a fee of $15.00 per name searched.

Do not e-mail or fax the request for the certified copy of the vital record.  We must have original signature and photocopy of a picture ID to process by mail.  Please feel free to telephone the office for additional information at (603) 527-4713 or e-mail

Link to E-Reg On-Line Registration